Vietnamese spring rolls is called Nem in Vietnamese. This is one of popular Vietnamese Dish recipes. It also is my favorite food, especially in parties and events. It is really fantastic. They contain a few of my favorite things as crab, shrimp, cabbage and shiitake mushrooms. Since they are deep fried, they are obviously nice and crispy. Wrapped up in a fresh piece of lettuce and dipped in Vietnamese Dipping Sauce, they are absolutely delicious.
- 200 g minced pork
- 200 g shrimp minced
- 100 g taro shredded
- 100 g carrot shredded
- 20 g dried woodear mushrooms soaked in hot water and julienned
- 50 g glass noodle soaked in water for 10 mins
- 1 tbsp shallot minced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 1 bean sprouts (7 oz) optional
- 1 block tofu optional
- salt, pepper, sugar, chicken stock to taste
- 20 pcs rice paper wrapper
- dipping fish sauce
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the minced pork and minced shrimp together and season lightly with salt, pepper, sugar and chicken stock (1/2 tsp each). Also add 1 tbps minced shallot and 1 tbsp minced garlic. Mix well in a circular motion till combined.
Step 2: Combine the seasoned meat & shrimp with all the shredded vegetables, mushrooms and glass noodle. Mix well. To help all the ingredients adhere better, add 1 egg or just the egg white. Mix well again and leave to sit for about 15 minutes.
Step 3: To soften the rice paper for wrapping, moisten the rice paper with a damp cloth instead of soaking in water.
Step 4: Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the filling and place near one end of the rice paper. Roll until you reach the center, then fold both sides inwards and continue to roll up till the other end.
Step 5: Heat a generous amount of oil in the pan until you see small bubbles around the chopstick. Then keep the heat on medium and start frying. The rice paper could be sticky at first so leave some spaces between the rolls. After a few minutes, it's ok to bring them closer to one another. Deep fry until they turn golden brown.
Step 6: Place them on paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Serve with dipping fish sauce, fresh vegetable and herbs.
- Fried eggs with tarragon
- Vietnamese Rolling Pho (Pho Cuon)
- Mixed Pho Chicken Salad Recipe (Pho Ga Tron)
- Vietnamese Chicken Noodles (Pho ga)
- Vietnamese Beef Noodles (Pho)
- Southern style beef noodles (Bun bo Nam bo)
- Vietnamese Turmeric Fish with Dill (Cha ca)
- Vietnamese Crepe (Banh Xeo Viet Nam)
- Vietnamese Steamed Rice Pancake Rolls (Banh Cuon)
- Vietnamese Egg Coffee